This lovely cake – a variation on a traditional apple cake - has a winning combination of apricot and cinnamon flavours.
Serves 6 people.
80 gm Tropical Wholefoods Fairtrade apricots
Juice of 1 Fairtrade lemon
6 eggs separated
110 g Fairtrade caster sugar
140 g plain flour
2 tbsp unsalted butter
tsp ground cinnamon
1. Heat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas Mark 4. For fan assisted, reduce by 20 C.
2. Chop sun dried apricots into 1 cm pieces.
3. Soak apricot pieces for 20 minutes in enough water to cover them. Drain and set aside.
4. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar, reserving 1 tbsp to sprinkle on top of the cake.
5. Add the lemon juice, then the flour, gradually, beating vigorously.
6. Beat the egg whites stiff and fold them into the mixture.
7. Line a 24cm (9 inch) springform cake tin with greased baking paper.
8. Pour one third of cake mixture into the tin. Spread one third of apricots in a layer on top. Pour on another third of cake mixture and layer on another third of fruits. Pour on final third, and arrange remaining apricots on top.
9. Melt the butter and brush the top of the cake and the apricots with it. Sprinkle with cinnamon and 1 tbsp of sugar.
10. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Leave to cool and remove from tin.